The horizontal objectives in detail
In the framework of structural-fund support, horizontal objectives are defined as tasks or objectives that must be taken into account in planning and implementing programmes and projects in the relevant policy areas.
In the ESF funding period 2014-2020, three horizontal objectives are to be taken into account in the preparation and implementation of ESF measures in accordance with Article 7 f of the ESI regulation, (EU) No 1303/2013 - common provisions for the ERDF, the ESF, and the Cohesion Fund [PDF, 2MB].
- Promotion of equality between men and women
In accordance with Article 7 of the ESI regulation, equality between men and women and the integration of gender perspective should be taken into account and promoted during the preparation and implementation of ESF measures. In accordance with Article 7 of the ESF regulation, the goal is increasing the sustainable participation and progress of women in employment, thus combating the feminisation of poverty. Other objectives are to reduce gender segregation, combat gender stereotypes both in the labour market and in education and further training, and promote both work-life balance for all and the equal distribution of care duties between men and women.
- Promotion of equal opportunities and non-discrimination
In accordance with Article 7 of the ESI regulation, member states are also to take measures against any form of discrimination based on sex, racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation during the preparation and implementation of programmes. In particular, accessibility for persons with disabilities is to be taken into account throughout the preparation and implementation of programmes.
In line with Article 8 of the ESF regulation, such measures are to be aimed at combating all forms of discrimination and improving accessibility for people with disabilities. The goal is to improve integration in the fields of employment, education and training. This will promote social inclusion while reducing inequalities in levels of education and health. It will also facilitate the transition from institutional to community-based care, particularly for people experiencing multiple forms of discrimination.
- Promotion of sustainable development
In line with Article 8 of the ESI regulation, ESF support measures are also to respect the principle of sustainable development and the promotion of the objective of protecting and improving the quality of the environment. It is therefore necessary to ensure that the preparation and implementation of ESF activities respects and promotes environmental protection, resource efficiency, climate change mitigation, adaptation, biodiversity, and disaster resistance as well as risk prevention and risk management requirements.
Implementation in the ESF federal-level operational programme
When implementing the federal-level operational programme, the three horizontal objectives are taken into account at all levels of planning, implementation and evaluation. This takes place in the form of the two-pronged approach:
- Specific measures (programmes and projects) may contribute directly to improving the relevant thematic areas of the horizontal objectives. For example, a contribution to the horizontal objective of sustainability is made by the ESF funding programme "Promoting Vocational Education and Training for Sustainable Development. Green skills for climate-friendly, resource-efficient action at work (BBNE programme)".
- At the same time, all funding programmes are expected to make indirect contributions to the three horizontal objectives via mainstreaming.
In order to improve the implementation of the horizontal objectives, the ESF managing authority also commissioned structural support in the 2014-2020 funding period: the Agency for Horizontal Objectives within the European Social Fund. The main areas of responsibility of this agency are
- providing expert advice to the actors involved in the implementation of the ESF Federal OP on all cross-cutting issues,
- ensuring the transfer of information between academics, research and the practical application of policies by ESF actors, and
- preparing thematic expert reports and guidelines.
Basic principles and basic documents as well as further up-to-date specialist information can be found on the Agency's website at www.esf-querschnittsziele.de/english.
The Agency for Horizontal Objectives within the European Social Fund has developed recommendations for the implementation and consolidation of the three horizontal objectives in the next funding period 2021-2027 (ESF+). The statements contained therein do not necessarily reflect the position of the ESF fund management of the Federation in all respects. There is certainly a shared concern for developments involving fundamental and human rights in the European Union. You can find the recommendations here.